Monday, May 17, 2010

Jumped Downtown

Over the weekend a friend/colleague of mine was jumped while waiting for a cab downtown. As far as I know he was by himself and was randomly ambushed by a gang of guys. He’s now in the hospital getting his broken jaw wired shut and he’s in and out of consciousness. Senseless.

Jill and I are on edge when we’re downtown now anytime after 8:00… and for what? The cops are handing out fines to cyclists without their helmets on while people are being beat to a pulp less than a block away from their headquarters?

If you’re a friend and alone downtown late night, give me a call. I’ll come pick you up. No big deal. The dog has me up almost every night anyway. This has got to stop.

Edited: I learned today that Chris spent 3 hours unconscious at the corner of Brunswick and Regent before anyone found him. That's disgusting. It's one of the busiest streets in the city. He'll be in the hospital for at least another week due to serious internal injuries. Chris is one of the brightest folks in the city and would not have instigated a fight. This was a random and unprovoked beating by a gang of guys. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Edit #2: I've written the mayor and chief of police on the issue. I figure they should be hearing about it. A copy is posted here.


4 comments:

  1. wow that's crazy! I never think about such things when I'm downtown. What is going on to quaint little F'ton!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn that's just too much. Does it really make these people feel better to do that to somebody for no reason??? It's disgusting that nobody would have helped him while he was laying there on the street. I don't care if I would be putting myself in danger, I'd step up and help him if I seen it happening. You almost expect this sort of thing in a place like NYC, but not around here. Maritimers are supposed to be better than that. Please wish Chris a speedy recovery for me as well, I know I don't know him, but he needs to know that there are people out there that are normal. I'm sure he's going to be nervous walking the streets alone after this crap, but there are more good people out there than there are jackasses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot believe this happened and that people have nothing better to do with thier time. I know Chris from school and he is a kind, smart person that never would have provoked a fight. What a shame that he has had to go through all of this and miss his graduation on Wednesday, which by the way he worked really hard for and should have been enjoying and celebrating such a great accomplishment.
    To the people who could do such a thing: shame on you, get a better hobby and a life!!!
    To Chris: here is to a speedy recovery and all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this is just crazy. I cant beleive that he was there for 3 hours before anyone helped him. I was always scared to walk downtown alone anyways. I find our justice system so slack. Something needs to be done about this.

    ReplyDelete